Licence Management

Need help understand your water licensing requirements?

Water Manager can offer expert and friendly guidance.

We can help you stay on top of your water assets.

Our licensing team can help you better manage your property or project, through all the changes in regulations over time.

Whether it’s a new water licence application, transfer, renewal or amendment—we can help.

We offer hassle-free services to help you to achieve your water goals year-on-year.

We can answer your questions about water licences.

Whether it’s a question about an application, transfer, amendment or renewal of your licence, our friendly team have the expert knowledge to help.

Contact our team for expert advice about water licence management.

Our Licence Management services.

DWER only permit new licence applications in “under-allocated” areas, or in extenuating situations.

“Under-allocated” areas are those in which there is some water available that isn’t already allocated for use by individuals or businesses.

Because most of WA is “over-allocated”, the only way to get water is by purchasing it from an existing licence via Water Trading, as no new licences can be issued.

Although, new licences can be issued for temporary arrangements, such as construction projects.

In these cases, new temporary licences are usually only for a fixed period, are non-renewable, and cannot be sold.

In-demand water resources and the continuously changing policies have made new applications complicated, but our extensive experience can help.

We can help you secure water in “under-allocated” areas, or for temporary trades. We have a 100% application success rate.

Temporary trade agreements are fixed term trades where the owner sells the allocation to somebody for a period of time.

In this instance, the owner retains their responsibility for licence compliance even though the allocation is being temporarily used by someone else.

Our knowledge and experience of temporary trading can help you save money, keep your water in use and avoid water licences being reclaimed.

When a property is sold, the water licence included in the property sale must be transferred to the new owner through the DWER licence approval process within 30 days of settlement.

We work for both parties to ensure that water licence transfers meet DWER regulations and contractual obligations.

You can trust us to help you avoid poorly organised transactions or reclaimed applications.

On some occasions, a water licence is transferred to another owner on the same property.

Whether there’s an inheritance, or the holder is re-organising their personal or financial affairs, this also requires compliance with DWER regulations.

Our expert services can handle your water license transfers to help you focus on your future.

Licences are generally issued for 10 years.

After this they can be renewed for free with the Department of Water and Environmental Regulation (DWER).

However, when you apply for renewal the DWER will usually review your water readings and may reclaim part of your licence if you’ve breached the conditions of your allocation.

We can help you understand the risks or exposure of your water licence.

This allows us to submit a renewal application within DWER guidelines.

We can help to give you the best result for your property when renewing your licence.

If the conditions of a licence need to change, this must also be lodged with the DWER.

Each water licence is issued for authorised activities that sometimes need to be amended—for example, if you’re no longer irrigating paddocks but want to keep the licence for lawns or agriculture.

Other amendments include changes in contact details, like postal addresses.

We can help prevent the government from reclaiming your licence in the process of changing the proposed use of your water.

Do you have questions?

Contact us today to discuss our licence management services

Be sure that you comply with the regulation

Allow your business to grow by better managing your water licence and preventing reclaiming by the government.

Do you know, understand, and comply with the latest water regulation?

Running a property or a business is time-consuming, and it requires knowledge across several different domains.

Water legislation is constantly updated, to reflect the latest policies from Department of Water and Environmental Regulation, whose main goal is to monitor and manage the abstraction of water from the aquifers of WA.

We are in contact with DWER daily, working on water licensing and trading applications.

We understand the regulations, so we can help you ensure that you are fully compliant, and that you keep your water assets safe.

Here’s how groundwater trading works…

Benefits of Water Manager

Ensure your water needs are met year-on-year.

Over time, water needs change.

Your water licences may need to be readjusted or transferred to another owner. You may wish to apply for new water licences or setup temporary water trades for various projects.

Although, managing these changes to your licences can be complex and time-consuming, especially since WA’s water regulations are constantly changed.

That’s why we offer water licence management services – so you don’t risk the water your business needs into the future.

We can help you manage your water so your business or property can continue to grow.

Here’s how groundwater trading works…

Contact us today for expert water licence management.

We can help you to transfer or secure the water you need to better manage your property or project.

Contact us today for any queries about your water licences.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Generally, no.

DWER only permit new licence applications in very few ‘under-allocated’ areas and aquifers, or in temporary arrangements.

Temporary licence trading can be conducted for construction works or in emergency situations.

We can help you secure water in under-allocated areas, or for temporary trades. We have a 100% application success rate.

Water licences don’t automatically transfer ownership of allocation when properties are bought.

You need to transfer the licence to a new property owner within 30 days to remain valid.

This involves notifying the Department of Water and Environmental Regulation that there has been a change in ownership of the licence within 30 days of settlement, otherwise you risk losing the allocation.

A transfer is different from a trade.

Transfers happen are when the allocation is staying on the same property, but the licence owner is changing.

A trade is when the allocation being traded to a different property. 

We can help you transfer your licences with ease.

In WA, groundwater licences generally last for a maximum period of 10 years.

After this, these licences need to renewed with the DWER.

We can renew your licences for you, to give time back to you and your business.